The Australian Stumpy Tail Cattle Dog is a relatively healthy breed with few genetic disorders. Those disorders that are present generally occur at low frequencies. This is due in no small part to the diligence of breeders who are determined to keep the breed healthy and true to its heritage. While the breed is relatively free of genetic disorders, the following defects have been associated with the ASTCD:
- Deafness For more info see....... LSU articles by George Strain www.lsu.edu/deafness/deaf.htm
- Deafness inheritance study by Sue Summerlad (Univ Queensland) http://espace.library.uq.edu.au/view/UQ:346672
- Article http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0013364
- Hip displasia For more info see....... The Orthopedic Foundation for Animals www.offa.org/
- Cleft palate Good articles and information. www.gsdhelp.info/breed/cleftpalate.html
- Spina bifida Good articles .....ic.upei.ca/cidd/disorder/spina-bifida
- PRCD (inherited blindness).......www.optigen.com/opt9_test_pra_acd.html
- Cryptorchidism (undecended testicle) http://ic.upei.ca/cidd/disorder/cryptorchidism-retained-testicle
- Incorrect and missing dentition. More info at www.dentalvet.com/patients/orthodontics/pet_orthodontics.htm
If you find that any of these links are inactive or not working, i would appreciate your letting me know.
All pet/companion pups are neutered at 8 weeks of age. Males receive vasectomy and females are spayed. All pups will have recieved age appropriate vaccinations before leaving here. They get 3 sets of vaccinations at age 6, 9, and 12 weeks for DHLP/Pv.